Sandia National Laboratories recognizes high school students annually at the awards banquet.
The Thunderbird Awards reward young people who, through hard work and determination, overcome great personal difficulties to achieve their goals. Their achievements earn them roles as leaders and role models to other at-risk teenagers, as well as $1,500. The awards were created by Sandia National Laboratories and Lockheed Martin in 1994 and are conducted by Community Involvement, since their inception.
- Overcame major obstacles or adversity
- Serves as a positive role model
- Graduating from high school
- Plans to pursue post-secondary education
- Attends a public high school in Albuquerque, Belen, Bernalillo, Los Lunas, Moriarty, or Rio Rancho
- Nominated by their school